Karachi University BBA Past Paper of BS-I to VIII 2013
|Dec 2013||BS-I to VIII Dec 2013|
University of Punjab PU Lahore M.A / M.SC. Economics Part 1 Past Paper of Research Methodology Annual Examination 2010
1. Explain different sources of data collection for efficient research process.
2. What do you understand by internal validity? Discuss in detail those factors which affect internal validity.
3. Write a research proposal on the topic of your own choice.
4. Discuss the important characteristics of scientific method of research. .
5 Write short notes on any two of the following:
(a) Empirical and Theoretical Research
(b) Literature Survey
(c) Null Hypothesis.
University of Punjab PU Lahore M.A / M.SC. Economics Part 1 Past Paper of Statistics for Economics Annual Examination 2010
1. a) Differentiate between the following:
(i) Biased and Unbiased Error
(ii) Time Series and Cross Sectional Data
(iii) Parameter and Statistic
(iv) Quantitative and Qualitative Data
(v) Bar Chart and Pie Chart
b) State the advantages and disadvantages of Mean. Median and Mode.
c) Consider a sample with data values of 10. 20, 12, 17 and 16, Prove that AM > GM > HM, where AM = Arithmetic Mean, GM = Geometric Mean and HM = Harmonic Mean
2. a) Differentiate between Mean Deviation and Standard Deviation.
b) Differentiate between Absolute and Relative Measures of dispersion.
c) The mean marks of 40 Economics Students in a University is 44 while when we calculate the relative measure of variability, it was 18.2. Calculate Standard Deviation and Variance for these 40 students. What is the unit of measurements of these Measures of Dispersion?
d) The national average for the verbal portion of the College Board’s Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) is 507. The College Board periodically rescales the test scores such that the standard deviation is approximately 100. Answer the following questions using a Bell Shaped Distribution and the Empirical Rule for the verbal test scores.
(i) What percentage of the students have a SAT verbal score greater than 607?
(ii) What percentage of the students have a SAT verbal score between 307 and 607?
(iii) What percentage of the students have a SAT verbal score between 407 and 507?
3. a) The commercial division of a real estate firm conducted a study in Lahore to determine the extent of the relationship between annual gross rents (Rs. 1,000s) and the selling price (Rs. 1,000s) for apartment buildings. Data were collected on several properties sold and information is as following of Excel output:
(i) Complete ANOVA table
(ii) How many apartment buildings were in the sample?
(iii) Write the Estimated Regression Equation and interpret the regression coefficient.
(iv) Use the F test to determine whether the selling price is related to annual gross rents, α = 0.05.
b) How can you differentiate between Multiple and Partial Correlation Coefficients?
c) Make a clear note on Interpolation and Extrapolation.
4. a) What a Standard Error of Estimate? Explain it.
b) What are different assumptions of a Linear Regression Model?
c) From a large group of students, 10 students were taken as a sample. Their final marks in Economics (X), Statistics (Y) and Mathematics (Z) gave the relationship as following:
rYZ = 0.2354, rXY 0.96250 and rXZ = 0.0360
(i) Compute Correlation Matrix.
(ii) Detect and interpret Multi-collinearity between the variables.
(iii) Compute Partial and Multiple Correlation Coefficients.
5 a) State the difference between the following:
(i) Sampling and Non-Sampling Error
(ii) Permutation and Combination Formula
(iii) Discrete and Continuous Random Variable
(iv) Probability and Non Probability Sampling
(v) Population and Sample
b) Gasoline prices reached record high level in 16 cities dung 2009. Two of the affected cities were Lahore andKarachi. The Pakistan Automobile Association reported a sample mean price of Rs. 2.04 per gallon in Lahore and a sample mean price of Rs. 1.72 per gallon in Karachi. Use a sample size of 40 for the Lahore data and a sample size of 35 for the Karachi data. Assume that prior studies indicating a population standard deviation of 0.10 in Lahore and 0.08 in Karachi arc reasonable.
(i) What is a point estimate of the difference between the population mean prices per gallon in Lahore and Karachi?
(ii) At 95% confidence, what is the margin of error?
(iii) What is the 95% confidence interval estimate of the difference between the population mean prices per gallon in the two cities?
6. a) Explain the different steps in constructing Price Index Numbers.
b) Write a short note on CPI versus GDP Deflator. Where we use CPI and where we recommend GDP Deflator.
c) The take-home pay of Ahmed Bilal and the CPI for 2003 and 2009 are:
(i) What was Ahmed Bilal’s real income in 2003?
(ii) What was Ahmed Bilal’s real income in 2009?
(iii) Interpret your findings.
7. Write a short note on any three of the following.
(i) Properties of Normal Distribution
(ii) Non-Linear Regression Models
(iii) Four Factors of a Time Series
(iv) Box Plot and Detailed Box Plot
University of Punjab PU Lahore M.A / M.SC. Economics Part 1 Past Paper of Mathematical Economics Annual Examination 2010
1. a) Define and give examples:
(i) Definitional Equation
(ii) Behavioral Equation
b) Derive the equation of a straight line having the intercepts (0, 5) and (3, 0).
c) Given the following income model:
Y = C + I0 + G0
Where C = a + b (Y – T), T – d + ty
(i) How many endogenous variables are there?
2. a) What are the major ingredients of Linear Programming?
b) Solve the following linear programming problem graphically:
6g1 + 3g2 ≤ 54
4g1 + 6g2 ≤ 48
5g1 + 5g2 ≤ 50
g1 , g2 ≥ 0
3. a) Explain the structure of an input-output model.
b) Given the technology Matrix A and Final Demand Vector D below:
Find the correct level of output for three industries.
4. Explain the following:
a) (i) Equal Matrices
(ii) Identity Matrix
b) Explain the major Properties of determinants with the help of examples.
c) Use Cramer’s rule to solve the following national income model:
Y = C + 1 + G
C = α + β (Y – T) (α > 0, 0 < β < 1)
T = y + δ Y (y > 0, 0 < δ < l)
Where Y, C and T are endogenous variables and I and G are exogenously determined.
5. a) Explain the use of derivative in economics.
b) Given Q = 700 – 2P – 0.02Y
Where P = 25 and Y = 5000
(i) Price Elasticity of Demand
(ii) Income Elasticity of Demand
c) Given the following demand and supply function:
Qd = 16 – 2P and Qs = 4 + P
If the government levy a tax of ‘t’ per unit of output sold, what value of t’ should be in order to maximize tax revenue from taxation of the good.
6. a) A producer has possibility of discrimination between the domestic and foreign markets for a product, where the demands respectively are:
Q1 = 21 – 0.1 P1 , Q2 = 50 – 0.4 P2
Total Cost = 2000 + 10Q
Where Q = Q1 + Q2
What price will the producer charge in order to maximize profit (a) with discrimination and (b) without price discrimination?
b) Maximize profit for a producer of two substitute goods, given:
P1 = l30 – 4Q1 – Q2 , P2 = 160 – 2Q1 – 5Q2,
TC = 2Q12 + 2Q1Q2 + 4Q22
(i) Cramer’s rule for the first order condition.
(ii) The Hessian for the second order condition.
7. Write a short note on any two of the following:
(a) Jaccobian Determinant
(b) Concept of Duality in Linear Programming
(c) Homogenous Production Function.
University of Punjab PU Lahore M.A / M.SC. Economics Part 1 Past Paper of Macro Economics Annual Examination 2010
1. Suppose an economy is described by the following set of equations:
a) Find the equilibrium level of National Income and consumption.
b) Find Budget Surplus and balance of trade.
c) Find the value of trade multiplier.
d) How much change in G is required to take income to 1200.
2. a) Derive mathematically or diagrammatically the aggregate demand curve from IS – LM framework in a closed economy.
b) Discuss the impact of fiscal and monetary expansion through aggregate demand on output and prices.
3. a) How the Permanent Income hypothesis of consumption resolves the seemingly contradictory prices of evidence regarding the consumption behavior?
b) Critically evaluate the relative income hypothesis of consumption.
4. a) How does the real business cycle theory explain the role of external shocks in Producing Cyclical fluctuations?
b) What is neutrality of money thesis?
5. a) What is Okun’s law? Is it possible for the GDP gap to be positive as well as negative? Explain.
b) How is Okun’s law incorporated into the expectations – augmented Philip’s curve?
6. a) How do monetary and fiscal policy differ in a situation of liquidity trap?
b) What are the two lags in the effect of monetary policy?
7. Write short notes on any three of the following:
(a) Crowding out hypothesis.
(b) Stock and flow variables,
(c) Rules versus discretion,
(d) Natural Rate of unemployment.